Now or later: beating procastination

If you’re someone who values their time and wants to boost their productivity, procrastination isn’t an option. But for loan officers with long to-do lists, it can sometimes feel difficult to avoid. Though we don’t intend to procrastinate, it just happens. Unfortunately, the more we allow ourselves to do this, the stronger a tendency it becomes. As someone who enjoys setting ambitious goals and tackling my daily to-do list, I refuse to let procrastination slow me down. Whether it’s only something you do from time to time, or it’s become a full-blown habit, here are some of my top strategies for putting an end to it:

2-Minute Test
When asking yourself if you’re going to do something now or later, it’s wise to run it through the 2-minute test, or 5-minute test, whatever window works for you. The idea is that if you can complete a task in a very small window of time, why leave it looming over you? If you can do it now, do it now. This can free your to-do list from the clutter of countless smaller tasks, and each small task you complete is a small burst of motivation to maintain that productivity.

Specific Actions
When your to-do list is full of large, ambiguous tasks, like work on X project or start creating content, you’re making it easier for yourself to procrastinate. You’re putting off an idea, not a clear action. To hold yourself accountable and make it much more difficult to justify procrastinating, consider the way you write tasks on your to-do list. The more clear, specific, and action-oriented you can make them, the better. Instead of ‘work on X project’, you might say, spend 30 minutes researching and 30 minutes brainstorming on the topic. Create time-bound, specific actions. Instead of ‘create content’, you might say, write one blog post. This way, it’s a manageable action as opposed to an ominous idea.

Habits
Procrastination is a habit, and you can make a new habit of not procrastinating. Most research suggests that it takes around 3 weeks to form a habit, so you’ll just need a bit of commitment to start really making the shift. Procrastination gives us some sense of satisfaction, or we wouldn’t do it. What you need to do is retrain your brain to realize that the satisfaction of completing the task is much greater.

Take Breaks
We often tend to put things off when we’re tired or not at our best. So, give your body and mind what they need. Take a realistic look at your to-do list, if it would take you ten hours of non-stop work to make it to the end, you’re setting yourself up to procrastinate. Instead, work to create the optimal environment for yourself in which you’re least likely to procrastinate. That usually means creating a manageable to-do list and allowing yourself some breaks throughout the day.

Procrastination can be a major barrier to success. Once you crush it, you’ll find that clarity, motivation, and increased productivity are on the other side. As you work to get rid of procrastination, pay attention to these benefits and let them motivate you to ditch the habit for good.

1 Like

@Favour_Okoh procrastination was once a stumbling block for me, exactly what you wrote. Since I took the decision to amend, my efficiency improved by 90%. Your words are true

Infact i am guilty of procastinating my Business plan summary. Thanks for helping me with strategies to overcome it.

If feels like the message is for me,I’m so guilty of this

haahaahaaah @Longji_Kumdet

1 Like

@csavourassociates true oh

@Favour_Okoh Lovely and lessons taken