Agrifood entrepreneurship is the biggest opportunity in Africa today.
Before the global coronavirus pandemic, we liked to say agribusiness is a trillion-dollar opportunity. Now, everyone on the planet understands that agribusiness truly is a critical industry.
The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize aims to find Africa’s brightest young agrifood entrepreneurs. We are searching for agribusinesses that bring technology, innovation, and passion to the agriculture and food industries.
YOU could win one of two US$50,000 cash prizes that will help you change your world and transform the agri-food business in Africa.
We need strong agriculture and food businesses to get us through the pandemic and grow our communities and economies when it’s over. We want to support YOUR businesses to become profitable and scale, so you can lead the way.
Two entrepreneurs, one woman, and one man will each win 50,000 US Dollars for the most innovative and scalable business ventures. Ten finalists will benefit from a package of support to boost their business. 250 applicants will benefit from online training to strengthen their business plans.
We want to hear from businesses that show
originality and innovation
market potential and traction
social or environmental impact
a viable and scalable business model
and an inspiring and investible team
The entrepreneur applying must:
be aged 18-35 on the day of submission to the competition
hold nationality (with official ID) from any of the 54 nations of the African Union
be the founder/co-founder of the enterprise he or she represents in the competition and play an active role in its operations and leadership
have no criminal record related to corruption, tax evasion, financial impropriety, felony or other offense
not be a previous GoGettaz finalist. (But if you made it to the semi finals previously you can compete again)
Their venture must:
have its headquarters in one of the 54 countries of the African Union, and be officially registered by 1 August 2020
be designed to be financially sustainable, either as a for-profit business or a market-based social venture
generating revenue at least in part and aiming for non-donor-based sustainability
play a role in the agri-food sector
Innovation: What problem does your business solve for its customers? What is its solution? How is this unique or innovative?
Market: Who are your customers? Who are your competitors? What is the market potential? What is your go-to-market plan?
Business Model: How does your business generate revenue? How does it or will it achieve profit? What is your plan for scaling up your business?
Impact: How does your business have a positive social or environmental impact? How are you minimizing your negative impacts?
Team: Who is in your leadership team? What experience and expertise do they bring to the business?
– Applications open until Thursday, June 18, 2020
– Expert reviewers will examine all applications, considering the above criteria
– 24 semi-finalists will be notified via Facebook and email by 22 July 2020. Semi-finalists will each be interviewed and asked for further information
– 10 finalists, five male, and five female will be selected and notified via Facebook, in person or by email, by 5 August 2020
– Finalists will be invited to compete in the final live or virtual pitching contest at the Africa Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) meeting between 8-11 September 2020. Depending on the coronavirus situation this will be part of a full week of activities that finalists will be expected to attend, from 8-11 September 2020. Should you not have a valid passport and plan to enter GoGettaz, please apply for one now
– All 10 finalists will be awarded mentorship, programming linkages, and other guidance to continue their entrepreneurial journey